Mental Health Services

Health Professionals

There are a range of health professionals who can provide help and support for people with mental health issues:

  • General Practitioners: Is the first point of call when someone is experiencing mental distress. This directory does not include service information for general practitioners in Singleton LGA. To find the location of a general practice go to the National Health Service Directory at The Black Dog Institute has a factsheet on finding a mental health friendly doctor which is available online at 2-findingamentalhealthfriendlydoctor.pdf 
  • Psychiatrist: are medical doctors who are experts in mental health. They specialise in diagnosing and treating people with mental illness. Psychiatrists provide psychological treatment, prescribe medications and do procedures such as electroconvulsive therapy. All psychiatrists must be registered with the relevant medical board in Australia or New Zealand in order to see patients. This is the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). General Practitioners need to complete a referral for a Psychiatrist. To find a Psychiatrist - The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
  • Psychologists: provide their expertise by assessing and diagnosing a range of problems, developing strategies and treatments, and offering guidance and support. Psychologists provide these services in a wide range of public and private settings, including health, mental health, disability, family services, community, schools, corporate and business, education, sport and the performing arts. To find a Psychologist - The Australian Psychological Society Limited Australian Psychological Society | APS (
  • Social Workers: maintain a dual focus on both assisting with and improving human wellbeing and identifying and addressing any external issues (known as system or structural issues) that may impact on wellbeing or may create inequality, injustice and discrimination. Social workers may undertake roles in casework, counselling, advocacy, community engagement and development and social action to address issues at both the personal and social level. For more information or to find a Social Worker - Australian Association of Social Workers
  • Counsellors: A counsellor offers talk-based therapy and can help you to address your problems in a positive way by helping you to clarify the issues, explore options, develop strategies and increase self-awareness. For some people, just the process of telling their story to a counsellor, and being listened to, is helpful.  To find a registered counsellor - Australian Counselling Association (


Local Mental Health Services

HNE Health Services

Singleton Hospital
Emergency Department
Open 24 hours a day

5 Dangar Road, Singleton, NSW, 2330 T 02 6571 9222

Maitland Hospital
Acute Mental Health Inpatient Unit

550 High Street, Maitland NSW 2320 T 02 4939 2456

Hunter Valley Community Mental Health Service

  • Adult Mental Health Services in the community (18-65years)
  • Hunter Valley Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
  • Older People Mental Health Services in the community (over 65 years of age) – Maitland based.

Outreach to Singleton weekly from Maitland. T 1800 011 511

Maitland Private Hospital
Nearest Private Mental Health Facility. Patients may be treated in either an inpatient or day patient setting depending on their individual requirements.

175 Chisholm Road, East Maitland NSW 2323 T 4933 8400


National and State Mental Health Initiatives 

For a full list of NSW Government Mental health services and support contacts, click here.
Beyond Blue National, independent, not-for-profit organisation working to address issues associated with depression, anxiety and related disorders in Australia.
T 1300 224 636

Black Dog Institute
Resource and support tools including digital tools and apps that is research-informed and recommended by professionals for mood disorders including depression and Bipolar Disorder.
T 9382 4530
National Youth Mental Health Foundation for young people aged 12-25 years with mild to moderate mental health needs. eheadspace provides free online and telephone support and counselling to young people 12 - 25 and their families and friends.
T 1800 650 890
Sane Australia
National mental health organisation working to support Australians affected by complex mental health. Includes mental health awareness, online peer support and information, stigma reduction, specialist helpline support, research and advocacy.
T 1800 18 SANE (7263)
Telephone and online counselling service for men with mental health, family and relationship concerns.
T 1300 789 978
Butterfly Foundation
Online and phone counselling, information, and online support groups for people concerned about eating disorders, disordered eating and body image problems.
T 1800 334 673
Perinatal Anxiety & Depression Australia (PANDA)
PANDA supports women, men and families across Australia affected by anxiety and depression during pregnancy and in the first year of parenthood. PANDA operates Australia’s only National Helpline for individuals and their families to recover from perinatal anxiety and depression.
T 1300 726 306
QLife provides anonymous and free LGBTI peer support and referral for people wanting to talk about sexuality, identity, gender, bodies, feelings or relationships. Counselling services are available everyday between the hours of 3pm to 12pm Australia wide. Website includes mental health and referral information.
T 1800 184 527
Head to Health Website
Provided by the Australian Department of Health, Head to Health brings together apps, online programs, online forums and phone services as well as a range of digital information resources. Head to Health can help find digital mental health services from some of Australia’s most trusted mental health organisations.

Carer Gateway

Carer Gateway aims to make your life easier. By calling Carer Gateway, you will be connected with a new Australia-wide network of Carer Gateway service providers. They will talk through what you need and help you to find local services and support to help you with your caring role.
T 1800 422 737
Mental Health Carers Helpline
If you are a family member, friend, or carer of someone with a mental illness, please call the Carers Connection Helpline if you would like to receive information, referrals and support.
1300 554 660
(9am - 4.30pm weekdays)
1800 Respect
A national service for people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse. Provides a 24 hour counselling service.
T 1800 737 732
Reach Out
Free online self-help information, peer-support program and referral tools for under 25s with everyday questions through to tough time