Social and Legal Support

The services below can provide you with advice and support for a number of social, employment, accommodation or legal concerns.

Australian Financial Complaints Authority 

AFCA provides individual and small businesses with fair, free and independent dispute resolution for financial complaints.
T 1800 931 678
GPO Box 3, Melbourne VIC 3001

Community Justice Centre 

The Community Justice Centre offers free mediation for people to help people solve disagreements without going to court.
T 1800 990 777

Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW

EWON is a free, fair and independent service for consumers and small business in NSW who are experiencing difficulties with the electricity, gas and some water providers. We can help to resolve outstanding issues with your electricity, gas, water or network providers including embedded networks. High bills, rebate issues, incorrect tariffs, meter issues, back billing, payment difficulties, disconnection, referrals for vouchers and much more. The first place to start a complaint is with your provider if you are not happy with the outcome, please call EWON on the number above.
1800 246 545

Hunter Community Legal Centre 

Hunter Community Legal Centre offers free legal advice by telephone on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Please visit the website for times and details about what kind of legal advice they can give you.
T 1800 650 073

Intellectual Disability Rights Service

The Intellectual Disability Rights Service (IDRS) is a specialist Community Legal Centre that helps people with an intellectual disability with their legal issues. The IDRS has offices in Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong. You can visit an office or call the hotline for advice.
1800 666 611 (hotline)
T 02 4926 5643 (Newcastle)

Law Access

Law Access is a free telephone service that offers legal information, referrals or advice for people who have a legal problem in NSW.
T 1300 888 529

Legal Aid NSW

Legal Aid NSW provides legal services to socially and financially disadvantaged people in NSW. They can help by giving free advice and legal information. You can get legal and financial advice at the Singleton Neighbourhood Centre every second Wednesday.
T 02 4929 5482

NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT)

The NCAT is a tribunal service. This means that they act like a court to help settle disagreements. They deal with different types of legal issues including tenancy, discrimination, and the appointment of legal guardians for people with a disability.
T 1300 006 228
Level 1, 175 Scott Street, Newcastle