To make the process as streamlined as possible the following three steps take you through the initial planning phase of your project right through to lodging your application.

Talk to us

We encourage you to talk to us about your building or development options early on in the planning process. 

Council’s Duty Planner and Building Surveyor are available to provide general advice and to assist in the process of submitting your application. Advice from the Duty Planner is generally recommended for less complex matters, such as general planning- related enquiries and advice for small-scale development, Local Environmental Plan (LEP) amendments and Development Control Plan (DCP) amendments. 

Where the development is more complex in nature, a pre-lodgement meeting is offered.

Council’s Duty Planner is available for general enquiries on Monday to Friday from 8.30am -12pm.  Please note duty planning services with cease from 12pm Friday 15December 2023 and will begin again on Monday 8 January 2024.

To make a request for a call back from our Duty Planner, please contact our Customer Service Centre  from 8.30am -12pm Monday to Friday on T 02 6578 7290 . We ask that you please allow up to five business days for a call back.

Complete the paperwork

Complete the application form outlining the following essential information:

  • Applicant and owners details.
  • Property details.
  • Description of the development.
  • The proposed details.
  • The type of development consent for which you are applying.

A specification is required to describe the construction and materials from which the building is to be constructed, a Statement of Environmental Effects (or Environmental Impact Statement for Designated Development), and a BASIX certificate also needs to be included with the application.


Some applications will require additional plans be submitted, such as landscape, bulk earthworks and driveway profile plans, however the following plans are always required to accompany a DA where building work is proposed:

  • Site Plan inclusive of;
    • All existing and proposed structures on property
    • Distances from all boundaries for all proposed structures
    • On Site Sewer Management System (OSSM) and Disposal Area (if applicable)
    • Any Cut and/Fill measurements required for proposed works
  • Floor Plan
  • Elevation Plan
  • Stormwater Plan 

The application form must be signed. By signing the form, you are consenting to the application being lodged over your property.

If you have made any reportable political donations please complete a disclosure statement of political donations and gifts form, which is to be submitted with your application. To find out more you can read our information on political donations.

Specification of plans

All plans are to be drawn to a standard scale, which is to be nominated on the plan. All plans should be no larger than A3.

Should your property be located in a mine subsidence area, your plans will also need to be stamped by Subsidence Advisory NSW.

Should your property be located in a Hunter Water Supply Area, your plans will also need to be stamped by Hunter Water Building Plan Stamping - Hunter Water.