Small Business Support
Start your Business - Australian Government
Setting up your own business can be an exciting time. Before you start, save yourself time and money by being aware of what's involved in running a business.
Investing time into proper planning is key to turning your dreams into reality. Operating a small business is not just about working for yourself or working from home, it's also about having the necessary management skills, industry expertise, technical skills, finance and of course a long-term vision to grow and succeed.
There is a broad range of advice and support offered by the Australian Government that you can take advantage of.
- There are a number of free or low cost advisory services available that provide advice and assistance to businesses across Australia. Search for your nearest government-funded business advisor in your local area using our Advisory Services.
- Find Mentoring services in your state or territory.
- Use the Starting a business checklist to guide you through the various stages.
- Check out the seminars and workshops on how to start a business.
- Watch videos.
Business Start Up Assistance Program
Setting up your own business is exciting, but challenging if you’re not prepared. The good news is, Singleton Council is here to help and you’re already off to a great start. The purpose of this program is to assist people to take their business idea from conception to a successful operating business.
Singleton Council residents are welcome to book a time to talk to our Economic Planner or take away our Business Start-up Assistance Pack so you can read some information in your own time. At that point, if you would like to receive some professional business advisor support, we recommend you contact the Futurepreneurs Program or the Business Centre, located in Singleton or the Hunter Valley Hub, located in Kurri Kurri.
Once you have used the free support services available from these programs, you can request additional paid support from Singleton Council by submitting the application form.
Easy to do Business and Business Concierges - Service NSW
Apply for the government licences and permits you need to open your business faster by using the Easy to do Business Concierge.
Easy to do Business is a free service for business owners that offers:
- Business concierges - personalised support and step-by-step guides tailored specifically for your business.
- How-to Guides - online information to help you understand government licensing, approvals and regulations.
- My Business Navigator - an online tool that guides you through what you need to do.
- Easy to do Business tackles the time, complexity and duplication issues that you can face when starting or growing a business in NSW. It cuts red tape and allows you to focus on your business rather than bureaucracy.
For further information visit the Service NSW website.
Business Connect - NSW Government
Business Connect is a dedicated and personalised NSW Government program that provides trusted advice to help you start or grow your small business.
Whether you are just starting out with a great business idea or looking to expand and grow your business, Business Connect services can help you on your journey to business success.
Register online or call T 1300 134 359 to book an appointment with a trusted adviser in your local area.
Disaster Ready Business Toolkit
There is much that a business leader can do to prepare his or her organisation for the most likely hazards. The Ready Business program helps business leaders make a preparedness plan to get ready for these hazards Being prepared for a disaster will enable businesses to reduce their losses due to a disaster and reopen faster following a disaster.
The Ready business website and the NSW Industry website also provide tools and how-to guides in preparing for emergencies.