Sewer and Pressure Sewer Connections

Disconnection of Sewer Supply

If a Customer no longer needs an existing sewer connection or are seeking relocation of a sewer connection, the disconnected service must be cut off and capped by a licensed plumber to prevent water or soil entering the sewerage system.

Plumbers must ensure the connection pipe is cut off as deep in the ground as practical to avoid being damaged by future landscaping or building works.

Annual fixed sewer access charges will still apply for sewer supply services, as the service remains available, even though they may not necessarily be used.  

Connecting to Council's Pressure Sewer Supply Service

Council has a pressure sewer system operating at a number of locations across Singleton where gravity sewer is not able to provide sewer services to properties, due to terrain or other constraints. The Maison Dieu area is connected to a pressure sewer system and services residential and industrial customers. If the property is within the area serviced by the pressure sewer system, all new development must connect the pressure sewer system to treat its wastewater.

The pressure sewer system involves a ‘grinder pumping unit’ installed on the property discharging the pressure sewer main in the street. While Council is responsible for the maintenance of these units, they are driven by electricity from the property switchboard, which is the owner’s responsibility together with the house drainage.

How to apply for a Pressure Sewer System on your property

The supply and installation of the pressure sewer system components are assessed, quoted and installed by Council’s Water and Sewer Group. The application to install an Onsite Sewerage Management System and the associated fees is a legislative requirement under section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 (NSW).

To apply for a pressure sewer system on your property:

  • Contact a Customer Service Officer to determine if pressure sewer is available to the property
  • Complete and submit a Pressure Sewer Quotation Request to Council’s Water and Sewer Group. Applications must include site plan and proposed floor plan
  • Council’s Water and Sewer Group will conduct a site visit, investigate any site issues, and prepare a pricing and installation schedule
  • Sign and return the Installation, Maintenance and Service Agreement and confirm the proposed location of the pressure sewer system components.

Council’s Water and Sewer Group will endorse the agreement and once payment has been received in full, Council will liaise with you to plan the installation of the pressure sewer system.

Once installation is complete Council’s Water and Sewer Group will organise for the annual maintenance fees to be raised against the property.  The first year will be set on a pro-rata basis. 

If you require further information on the pressure sewer system, please refer to the Owner Manual, or contact Council Water and Sewer Development Engineer on T 02 6578 7290 or email