Disaster Assistance

Following the November 2021, March and July 2022 floods, the Singleton local government area (LGA) was declared a "natural disaster" area. Disaster declarations allow affected communities and individuals to access a range of special assistance measures.

Disaster payments, grants and financial assistance for people living in areas affected by severe storms and floods in NSW.

Download the NSW Government Assistance Summary here.  

Disaster relief grant

If your home or essential household items have been destroyed or damaged by a disaster, you may be eligible for a disaster relief grant.

Call 13 77 88 and ask about the disaster relief grant administered by Resilience NSW.

Red Cross grants

The Australian Red Cross may provide support through 2 types of cash grants:

  • Bereavement grant: To support senior next-of-kin of people who died as a direct result of the floods with immediate needs (funeral and other related expenses). 
  • Relief grant: Cash assistance for people who are experiencing financial hardship as a result of flood impact to their primary place of residence. 

You can apply through Red Cross via an online form.

If you do not have an email address, internet access or a device to connect with, please call the Red Cross grants team on 1800 733 276 or visit a local recovery centre for assistance.

St Vincent de Paul disaster relief and recovery

St Vincent de Paul may provide financial assistance of up to $3,000 to flood-affected residents depending on criteria including the level of damage their property has sustained, the size of the family, and insurance status.

If you need assistance in the wake of the floods or would like to apply for one of these emergency grants, please go to your nearest recovery centre.

Temporary housing support

The Temporary Housing Support Package will help people who need accommodation support in the coming weeks and months.

The package will include:

  • temporary housing options for rural land owners
  • mobile motor homes
  • temporary accommodation in recreation clubs
  • access to the Red Cross housing brokerage service.

If you're currently staying with family or friends and need support, get notified about the temporary housing support package.

Rental support scheme

The rental support scheme helps people whose homes are uninhabitable as a result of the February-March 2022 storms and floods.

The scheme will provide up to 16 weeks rental support to flood victims in temporary accommodation and is scalable on the number of people per household, including children.

Get notified about the rental support scheme.

Additional Child Care Subsidy

Visit Additional Child Care Subsidy Temporary Financial Hardship to find out if you're eligible for extra help with the cost of approved child care.

Business support

Disaster recovery assistance is available to businesses in eligible NSW local government areas that have been impacted by storms and floods.

Find out about grants and loans for businesses.


Various banks are providing help for customers affected by natural disaster. Australian Banking Association has a list of banks and their contact details.

Financial counselling

The National Debt Helpline offers free and confidential financial counselling and resources.