Standpipe Services - Water Carter

Singleton Council supplies drinking water to the township via reticulated water mains, but many rural properties lie outside this area of supply and rely on alternative means of capturing and storing water.

Private water carting companies draw potable water from two fixed standpipes and deliver it for various purposes, including:

  • Drinking water for residential or commercial properties
  • Livestock drinking water
  • Dust suppression on construction or mine sites

Council regulates access to these standpipes in order to protect the security of town water supply, and also protect the health of end users of the water supplied by water carters. It does this under the Local Government Act, 1993, the Public Health Act, 2010 and the Food Act, 2003, and their associated regulations.

Council provides this service through the application of its Water Carters Policy, which sets out the requirements to be met before approval to draw water will be granted. For water carters supplying potable water to end users, the Policy sets out details of required:

  • Tank, hose and fitting specifications
  • Backflow prevention devices
  • Cleaning and maintenance of tanks, hoses and fittings
  • Disposal of water after cleaning
  • Logbooks
  • Annual compliance inspections

Access to Council’s fixed standpipes is controlled by the issue of electronic keys to approved vehicles. Approvals are granted for a five-year period, with annual inspection of the vehicle, and can be suspended or cancelled in the event of non-compliance with the requirements of the Policy.

To apply for access, complete the application form, and return to Council’s customer service centre.

Fees and Charges

Standpipe keys are purchased per vehicle, and an application fee is charged. Water usage is billed to an account to be paid monthly. Details of the fees and charges applicable can be found in Council’s Schedule of Fees and Charges.

For further information on water carters in the Singleton Local Government Area, contact Council’s Environmental Health Officer or Liquid Trade Waste Officer on T 02 6578 7290 or email


Council has two permanent bulk water filling facilities, commonly referred to as standpipes across the Local Government Area. These units enable water to be drawn from the water main directly into a water truck or tanker. The metered standpipe provides bulk supplies faster, while volume data inputs regulate the amount of water required.   The standpipes are available 24 hours a day and are located at:

  • Works Depot – 39 Maison Dieu Road Gowrie, and
  • Water and Sewer Depot – Water Works Lane, Glenridding

Operators registered with Council are issued a special key to operate the system. By providing this service, Council controls who draws water from our system and can ensure their equipment is safe by undertaking annual vehicle inspections; preventing potential public health risks associated with the contamination of the treated water supply.

These two standpipes are the only units currently approved for the extraction of water from the treated water supply system. The taking of water from a hydrant without permission from Council is a crime, and any parties found taking water without the use of a Council authorised standpipe and without Council permission, will be liable to a fine.