Historical Houses in the Singleton

BAROONA

Range Road, Whittingham

Originally named Rosemount in 1829 by its builders and first occupiers John and Emily Larnach, Baroona sits high on a rise west of the New England Highway approximately 7 kilometers south of Singleton and was also originally part of the Castle Forbes Estate owned by James Mudie. The significance of Baroona is that it is an example of a remarkably intact pastoral estate, associated with the Dangar family, inclusive of features dating to the 1870's. It provides evidence of the ways in which a major pastoral property functioned as a working stud farm, grazing estate and homestead of the late 19th century, as well as the  social tastes and customs of a prominent pastoral family during that era.

MINIMBAH HOUSE

Minimbah Drive, Whittingham

Minimbah House, built in 1877, is a large iand impressive country mansion of the late Victorian era. Built on a grand scale with a tranquil rural setting, Minimbah features elaborate Italianate inspired design. The centre part of the house is a three storey tower with a segmental domed roof which is the dominant element from the exterior. Minimbah has 45 rooms with many original fittings, and a magnificent entry hall, staircase and stained glass windows.

NEOTSFIELD HOMESTEAD

Racecourse Road, Whittingham 

Built for Henry Dangar, an assistant government surveyor in the 1830's, and named after his birthplace, St Neot in Cornwell. Neotsfield is one of the oldest established homesteads in Singleton. The main residential building is two stories high, and consists of 29 rooms with adjoining stables and servants quarters. Neotsfield has been described as being regency in architectural design, with complementing Victorian trimmings, wide paved verandahs and balcony. When Henry Dangar passed away, his son William inherited the property. William improved the homestead by adding a larger billiard room, and a balcony across the front of the house overlooking the garden and stables. 

ABBEY GREEN HOMESTEAD

Putty Road, Singleton

Built in 1861 of sand stock brick with a slate roof, this magnificent house is a distinctively Victorian building. The outbuildings include a woolshed, stables with slab walls and a rough hewn timber floor and an unusual octagonal building with low slab walls and high iron roof and centrepost. Abbey Green is historically significant for its associations with George Thomas Loder III, who was a prominent Hunter Valley grazier and founder of an early meat preserving and canning enterprise.

CRAIL HOUSE

Howe Street, Singleton

Crail House is a single storey Georgian style cottage built in the 1870's. It has a traditional hipped iron roof and sandstone brick walls. The building foundations, lintels and verandah flagging are of sandstone and internally there are marble and cedar chimney pieces. Much of the original plaster detail remains today.

GLENAYR

Kent and High Streets, Singleton

At the corner of Kent and High Streets stands a two storey weatherboard house with gabled iron roof and bullnosed verandah, adding to  the diversity and richness of the historic townscape.

GLENDON HOMESTEAD

Glendon Road, Glendon

This old Colonial Georgian style homestead is noted for its associations with the early settlement and cultural life of the Hunter Valley, and also its close affiliation with the pioneer settlers Helenus and Robert Scott. Glendon Homestead was built in two stages, in 1826 (in timber) and 1837 (in rendered masonry). Both stages are connected by a covered verandah. Outbuildings included barns, blacksmith shops, men's huts of 1833, stables and an overseer's house.

HAMBLEDON HILL HOUSE

Hambledon Hill Road, Maison Dieu

Completed in 1865, Hambledon Hill House holds considerable local significance as records show that the property as a free grant made Edward, Henry and William Nowland in 1824. The surrounding garden is also of historical significance, with several of the trees believed to be over 130 years old.  Hambledon Hill is a two storey house built of sandstone brick on stone foundations, with a hipped slate roof, a deep stone faced verandah, small paned windows, louvered shutters and French doors opening on to the cast iron balustraded balcony which is typical of the transition period from late Georgian to the Victorian era. The house was once described as “very large to all appearance on entering, yet most conveniently and well arranged despite its twenty nine rooms”.

ARDERSIER HOUSE AND GARDEN

Maitland Road, Singleton

Built in 1876 by Singleton’s first mayor, Alexander Munro, and named the house after his birthplace in Scotland. This is a one storey brick building with an iron gabled roof and attic. It is typical High Victorian building in its planning and external form and decoration. It is a well maintained building, and in spite of internal changes, has been kept in its original state.

WADE COTTAGE

Bishopsgate Street, Singleton

The Colonial style timber cottage was built for the railway engineer William Burton Wade in 1860. His son, Charles Wade, was born in this cottage and later became Chief Justice and Premier of NSW. The House was purchased by John Browne in 1870 and renamed Roseville.

GREENWOOD

Greenwood Ave, Singleton

Greenwood was designed by a local architect in 1888, and is a two storey boom style country mansion. Greenwood contains cast iron decorated verandahs, a magnificent front door with etched panels and sidelights, a beautiful staircase, decorative plaster details and marble fireplaces. Remnants of the original Victorian garden still remain.

BON ACCORD

George Street, Singleton

Built in the 1870's, this two storey building is architecturally and historically significant, with stucco facade, iron roof and beautifully preserved cast iron verandah and posts, windows and French shutters, cedar joinery inside. Romanesque arches are above the windows and doors. Generally the building is excellently preserved.

PELERIN

Edinburgh Ave, Singleton

Built in the late 1830's, Pelerin was a two storey stone faced building. In 1899, a storm devasted Singleton and Pelerin. Tenders were then called to remove the rubble from the site of the former house. The home was then rebuilt for owner D H Dight who retained the original name. It is truly a rare survivor in Singleton of a grand Victorian villa that dominates it's surroundings.