Game plan for Alroy Oval with draft Master Plan scoring goals
Published on 23 March 2021
Singleton Council is playing the long game when it comes to Alroy Oval in Singleton Heights, with a draft master plan now on exhibition that will see the facility become a mecca for football (soccer) and community recreation.
Developed in consultation with the Singleton Strikers FC and Singleton Track and Field, the draft master plan proposes a range of upgrades to the oval including three full sized football pitches with warm up area, a multi-use futsal/ basketball/ netball court, upgraded amenities building and car park, new playground, shelters and footpaths.
Justin Fitzpatrick-Barr, Council’s Director Infrastructure and Planning said the draft master plan was an important document that will enable Council to take advantage of future funding opportunities for the site.
People can learn more about the draft master plan from Council staff at two drop-in sessions at Alroy Oval on Monday 29 March from 10-11am, and Wednesday 31 March from 5-6pm.
“Council has been working closely with Singleton Strikers Football Club and Singleton Track and Field over the past six months to gain a really robust understanding of their wish list items, as well as any issues with the site now,” Mr Fitzpatrick-Barr said.
“Four concept layouts were initially developed, but with Singleton Track and Field potentially relocating to Cook Park under the Rose Point and Cook Parks Landscape Master Plan, the decision was made to progress the Alroy Oval Master Plan without athletics on site.
“Three football pitches at Alroy will mean that Singleton Strikers FC will be able to hold all club training at one location, promoting continuity for the club from junior to senior levels.”
Mr Fitzpatrick-Barr said it was vital that the community was involved in discussions about the future of Alroy Oval.
“Conversations with our local residents and members of the sporting clubs that use Alroy Oval regularly are really important,” he said.
“We’re inviting people to come and see us onsite at Alroy Oval on Monday 29 March between 10-11am, or on Wednesday 31 March from 5-6pm to hear firsthand about the exciting upgrades outlined in the draft master plan.”
Highlights of the draft master plan include:
- Three full sized grass football pitches, with correct solar orientation and run-off safety zones;
- An informal warm up/training area;
- A centrally located amenities building incorporating change rooms, canteen, store rooms and public amenities;
- Upgrades to the existing car park;
- A multi-use sports court for futsal, basketball and netball to encourage expanded community and casual use of the site;
- A consolidated playground catering for a range of age groups and abilities;
- Two large freestanding shelters with two picnic tables to provide shade and improve visitor comfort;
- A new footpath along Blaxland Avenue to improve circulation and links; and
- Improvement of the riparian ecosystem with weed removal and revegetation and additional tree planting.