Go To Search
How Do I
Construction Certificates and Process

After a Development Application is approved, a Construction Certificate is needed before any building work commences. Building work means any physical activity involved in the erection of a building.

A Construction Certificate can be issued by Council Certifiers or an accredited Private Certifier.

An application for Construction Certificate can be processed by Council by lodging a completed Construction Certificate Application form with Council or through an accredited Private Certifier.

An application for a Construction Certificate can be made to Council using the following forms:


The abovementioned checklists are required to be completed and form part of any application to Council.

A Construction Certificate is a certificate which verifies that work completed in accordance with specified plans and specifications will comply with particular requirements of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979 and Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation, 2000.

A Construction Certificate:

  • Makes sure that the detailed construction plans and specifications comply with the National Construction Code (NCC) and any other relevant Australian Standard;
  • Certifies that the detailed construction plans and specifications are consistent with the Development Consent;
  • Certifies that compliance has been achieved with relevant development consent conditions; and
  • Certifies that all necessary contributions, fees and levies have been paid.

If a Construction Certificate issued by an accredited Private Certifier, a copy of the certificate, associated plans and specifications must be forwarded to Council within two days after the date of its issue.

Before any building or subdivision work commences a Principal Certifier must be appointed to undertake the roles mandated by the provision of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979.

At least two days prior to work commencing a Notice of Building Work or Subdivision must be given to the Certifier.

When building work is completed or nearing completion and prior to a Final Inspection and subsequent consideration of an Occupation Certificate, a formal application for an Occupation Certificate is required.

Singleton Council
PO Box 314 Singleton NSW 2330
Ph: 02 6578 7290