What can Council do?

Once a valid complaint about an overgrown property has been received, Council will use the following process:

  1. Council will send an initial form letter to the property owner advising them of the concern raised about their property - your personal details will not be disclosed.
    The letter will explain the situation and give the property owner a 28 day periodto maintain the property to a reasonable standard.
  2. If at the end of the 28 day period the property works have not been completed, please contact Council again. Council will then inspect and assess the property. If Council deems the property to satisfy the guidelines of an overgrown property, a formal process will commence which includes the issuing of a formal notice on the property owner which will direct them to manage and maintain the vegetation. In accordance with legislation, a four week period is provided for the property owner to complete the work.
  3. If the property owner fails to satisfactorily comply with the notice, enforcement action by Council may result.
    If Council does not deem the property to be unhealthy or unsafe, you will be advised in writing that Council will be unable to assist you.

Show All Answers

1. What is an Overgrown Property?
2. What can I do?
3. What can Council do?