Can I burn dead and dry vegetative material?

Property owners can burn tree branches and vegetative material on their premises if their allotment is greater than 4,000 square metres in area and zoned Rural RU1, RU2, RU3, RU5 and Large Lot Residential R5 under Port Stephens Local Environmental Plan 2013. However, permission to burn tree waste on approved properties is subject to the following conditions:

  • Open fires must be at least 25m away from any residential dwelling or major building (as defined by the NSW Rural Fire Service publication Bush Fire Environmental Assessment Code)
  • Adjacent property owners must be given a minimum of 24 hours notice (verbal or written) of an intention to burn
  • An open fire must be supervised at all times
  • All combustible material within a 4.5 metre radius of the fire must be removed
  • Only one pile of vegetation may be burnt on any parcel of land at any one time, with the maximum size of any such pile to be 4 metres in diameter and 1.5 metres in height
  • Burning should only take place when weather conditions are calm and predicted to remain so
  • Burning should not cause a smoke hazard
  • Approval to burn does not apply during proclaimed ‘No burn Days’, ‘Total Fire Ban’ declarations or when the Fire Danger Rating is ‘Very High’ or above
  • Land managers/owners must contact the Lower Hunter Rural Fire Service 24 hours prior to lighting on 4015 0000. If burning over the weekend, please phone between 9 a.m. - 4.30 p.m. on the Friday prior, to advise of burning
  • Approval to burn in the open during the Statutory Bush Fire Danger Period is subject to a permit from the New South Wales Rural Fire Service and any additional conditions contained in the permit

Show All Answers

1. Can I burn off general garbage in my back yard?
2. Can I burn dead and dry vegetative material?
3. Can I burn any time of the year?
4. What are the penalties for breaking these laws?