Community invited to Back to Singleton 2020 Commemorations
With the countdown on to a whole-of-community commemoration for Singleton’s bicentenary next year, individuals, community groups, organisations and businesses still have time to put their own event on the program by 31 October 2019.
Overseen by the Singleton Bicentennial Commemorations Working Group, planning is well in hand for Back to Singleton 2020 to mark the 200 years since the arrival of the European exploration party led by John Howe and including two Aboriginal guides, Myles and Mullaboy, as well as Benjamin Singleton, who came upon the Hunter River at Whittingham on 15 March 1820.
The official weekend of events will be held on Friday 13 and Saturday 14 March 2020, with a community street party in John Street on Friday night and a community festival at the Civic Precinct on Saturday afternoon.
A formal event will be held in the Civic Centre on Saturday night.
Popular ABC presenter and Singleton son Craig Hamilton will also broadcast live in Singleton on Saturday.
Expressions of Interest have also been received from community organisations and businesses for reunions, exhibitions and concerts as part of the program and Mayor of Singleton, Cr Sue Moore said there was still time for more to be added with the deadline for Expressions of Interest on 31 October 2019.
“We’re thrilled with the response we’ve had so far and the excitement that’s already being generated around all of the events that are being planned,” she said.
“But with only months left until 2020, there’s still plenty of space for more community groups, venues and businesses to get involved and let us know at Council so we can include your event in our event program and promotion.
“It might be sporting clubs hosting a home game or preseason match that weekend, or your community organisation could hold a concert, a reunion or a historical display.
“We’d also love businesses to get into the spirit and pubs and clubs to think about a historical theme for their entertainment, or to organise a special menu or event to reflect on the history of Singleton and the opportunities for our area into the future.
“You don’t have to concentrate your theme on early pioneers – you could focus on any historical era, century or decade related to the Aboriginal or European inhabitation of Singleton.”
The official event program will be launched on 25 November 2019, followed by an intensive promotional campaign to reach as many people as possible to invite them to Singleton.
“We want to make sure everyone knows Back to Singleton 2020 is an open invitation for anyone to come home, come back or come for an adventure in Singleton,” Cr Moore said.
For more information, the Back to Singleton 2020 Event Prospectus is available at www.singleton.nsw.gov.au or contact Council on 02 6578 7290 for a hard copy to be mailed to you.
Anyone is invited to submit an Expression of Interest by 31 October 2019 for their event to be included on the official Event Program and in promotional material for Back to Singleton 2020. You will also receive an Event Host Kit and an exclusive invitation to the Back to Singleton 2020 Event Launch.