Given the complexity of the Local Environmental Plan (LEP) amendment process, it is advisable for LEP amendment applications to be prepared by a qualified town planning consultant, although this is not a legal requirement. In order to lodge a proposal to amend the LEP, applicants must:
- Lodge a completed Pre-Gateway Review of LEP Amendment Request form
- Lodge the completed documentation required to be submitted with the Pre-Gateway Review of LEP Amendment Request form
- Pay the ‘Pre-gateway review of LEP amendment request’ fee in accordance with Council’s adopted fees and charges schedule.
Applications to amend the LEP should be carried out in accordance with:
- Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (sections 3.31-3.37 - in particular section 3.33(2), which prescribes the basic content)
- Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 (Part 2)
- A Guide to Preparing Planning Proposals (NSW Department of Planning and Environment)
- Ministerial Directions under Section 9.1 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979
Applicants can send the amendment request form and associated documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or lodge the application in person at the Council's administration centre.
Application fees may be paid via phone, credit card or cheque. If you are wishing to pay over the phone, please contact Council's Customer Service Team to arrange for payment.
A staged fee system applies to LEP amendment applications. Where fees are payable to progress the proposal to the next stage in the process, such fees will be identified in an invoice issued by Council. Fees payable are determined in accordance with Council’s adopted fees and charges schedule and must be paid prior to the proposal progressing further.
If you need assistance with the lodgement of your application, you can contact Council’s Duty Planner between 8.30am and 12pm or Customer Service between 8.30am and 4.30pm.
Resources to assist in the preparation of an LEP amendment application can be found below: