About your sewer service

Council operates an extensive system to transport wastewater (sewer) from your home to the Sewer Treatment Plant, including 152 kilometers of sewer mains, 15 sewer pump stations and 210 pressure sewer units.  Council is licensed to operate the sewer system by the EPA and subject to strict environmental and health protection standards.  Learn more about our responsibilities, how the systems operate and how you can help:


Council manages and supplies approximately 14,709 customers with essential sewer services in the urban footprint of Singleton, including Singleton Town, Glenridding, Singleton Heights, Hunterview, Darlington, McDougalls Hill and Maison Dieu areas. 

View sewer service areas here.

Council does not provide sewer supply services to Branxton and North Rothbury areas.  By special agreement with Council, Hunter Water operate these services within Council’s Local Government Area.

Learn more about our Sewer Supply System here


If your home or business is connected to sewer, chances are you will have a Sewer Inspection Shaft and an Overflow Relief Gully located on your property. These two access points are important in the event of a sewer blockage. It is important to know where these points are located. (click the underlined words to open a pop up definition of each – below)

A Sewer Inspection Shaft (or boundary riser) is located close to the property boundary and is the pipe that leads to the sewer main. The sewer shaft is used both for maintenance access and to confirm the sewer system within the property is working correctly. In the event of a sewer blockage or overflow on the property, the sewer shaft should be located and inspected by the owner of the property before contacting Council or a plumber. An inspection of the sewer shaft can determine whether the overflow is due to a blockage in the sewer pipes within the property, or due to a blockage in Council sewer main.

An Overflow Relief Gully - ORG (or yard gully) are drain-like fittings located outside your home, that allows sewage to overflow away from the inside of your home and outside to the garden if there is a sewer blockage. They are designed so that the loose fitting grate be free to ‘pop off’ completely allowing the sewerage flow that has backed up in the pipes to escape through the ORG outside, rather than inside of your home or business.

The property owner is responsible to maintain or repair all the pipes within their property.

Find out more about your overflow relief gully here and your responsibilities as  a property owner here


Everything you put into the sewer has to be managed at some point by Council or your local plumber.  Many substances can stick to or become caught in the sewer pipes and the system.  Find out more about sewer blockages and what you can do here


Plant roots supply the plant with the food and water it needs to survive, and sewer pipes, either on your property or the sewer mains make a perfect meal.  Root damage to sewer lines leads to clogged, overflowing or slow flowing drains.   Root damage can also let stormwater into the pipes. During heavy rain, this extra water can overload the sewerage system causing it to overflow into our waterways and pollute the environment.  If the problem occurs in the property sewer it is the owners responsibility to have it fixed. 

Find out more here


Our sewer system is designed to treat degradable sewage so what you do and don't flush down the toilet, drain or sink can make a big difference. The wrong type of items can block your drains, overload and damage the wastewater system or create environmental damage.  To help ensure our sewer system works properly, you can find some examples of what can and can't go down your sink, drain or toilet here


Other emergency faults include:

  • sewer overflows or suspected blockages
  • sewer issues causing harm or property damage
  • security concerns about our assets and infrastructure (vandalism to a pump station)

Call Council immediately on 02 6578 7290.