Illegal Dumping and Littering
Illegal dumping can damage the environment and our health. It creates unsightly community spaces and high clean up costs. The NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) works with many organisations and local councils to try to combat illegal dumping.
Under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 on the spot penalty notices of up to $5,000 can be issued by officers. Penalties for the offence can be up to $250,000 for individuals and $1,000,000 for corporations.
REPORT ILLEGAL DUMPING
When reporting illegal dumping you will be asked for the following information.
- The location where you saw the illegal dumping.
- The date you observed the incident.
- An idea of the type and amount of waste dumped at the location.
- Details that may identify the source of the waste such as a description of a vehicle or registration number if possible.
- Transport Waste Brochure
- Landfill Waste Brochure
- Illegal Dumping Brochure
- Development Waste Brochure
- Asbestos Waste Brochure
Nobody likes a tosser. The most common litter items include cigarette butts, takeaway packaging and beverage containers.
The NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) works with many organisations and local Councils to try and influence positive behavioural change regarding littering.
Under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 should a person be observed littering on the spot fines can be issued of up to $250 for individuals and up to $500 for corporations.
To reduce litter, remember to:
- put your rubbish in the bin or take it with you
- keep a bag in the car to collect rubbish if you are out and about
- encourage others to put their rubbish in the bin and pick up any litter they have dropped
- put your cigarettes out and put them in the bin or keep a container in the car to take your cigarette butts with you
- report littering from a motor vehicle to the NSW Environmental Protection Authority.
If you would like to report or find out more about litter pollution you can visit the EPA website.