Singleton Council Rangers monitor and provide assistance in a variety of areas across our Local Government Area.
Some of their daily duties include:
- Animal control, including regulation of companion animals and off leash areas
- Barking dogs complaints
- Regulation of activities on Council reserves contrary to signage
- Stray livestock
- Parking regulation including school zones
- Abandoned vehicles and other items
- Investigation of illegal dumping incidents
- Issuing infringement notices
To lodge a request for ranger services, please call our Customer Service Centre on T 02 6578 7290.
Council does not provide a general weekend Ranger Service for animal management.
Please contact Police in the first instance. Rangers will respond to emergency situations in relation to serious dog attacks and straying stock if police assistance is requested.
Rangers do not respond to calls after hours in relation to animal services. Customers are advised:
- In the event of a dog attack, please contact Police
- For stray dogs, please call back during usual business hours
- For straying stock, please contact Police
Council advises that if you have concerns about stray dogs out of usual business hours, members of the public are not obligated to take in stray dogs. If you choose to take in a stray dog, you may:
- house it at your own property with a view to returning the animal to its owner
- ask a local vet to take the animal - which is then taken to Council’s Animal Management Facility during usual business hours. Note it is at the vet’s discretion to accept stray dogs
- contact Council during usual business hours (Monday to Friday, 8am to 4.30pm)
A dog’s behaviour can be unpredictable. If you do not know the dog, it is advisable to allow the dog to continue on without trying to catch it in the interests of your own safety.
Here are the best contact details for incidents outside of Council Ranger responsibilities:
- Cruelty to animals: RSPCA NSW Emergencies T 1300 278 3589
- Dead animals on Council property: Singleton Council T 02 6578 7290 (during business hours)
- All native animals (kangaroos, wombats, snakes etc.): NPWS (National Parks and Wildlife Service) T 1300 072 757
- Injured native animals, birds and reptiles: WIRES (Wildlife Information and Rescue Service) T 1300 094 737