singleton town centre - Stage 2 upgrade
Singleton Council is progressing with Stage 2 of the Town Centre Upgrade. This phase focuses on John Street from the Ryan Avenue intersection north to Campbell Street, and from Campbell Street to the New England Highway.
Council has engaged SMEC Australia Pty Ltd to undertake investigations to inform a concept design, leading to detailed design, which will allow Council to call for construction tenders. Construction works are anticipated to commence in early 2020.
Activities conducted so far include traffic counts, geotechnical investigation, survey and utility searches. You may have noticed markings on the footpath showing these works.
Stage 2 will continue the distinctive landscape and urban design themes from Stage 1. Key objectives are to instill civic pride and encourage residents and visitors to come to John Street for a range of reasons including shopping, dining, leisure and recreation.
Key components of the Stage 2 upgrade include:
- Enhancement of the gateways to the Town Centre
- New street lighting
- Undergrounding of power lines
- New landscaping and street furniture
- Assessment of several intersections and potential upgrades
- Improvements in traffic safety
- Traffic and parking management
- Footpath improvement
- Improvements to pedestrian connectivity
- Enhancement of pedestrian access for all abilities
- Assessment of and potential improvements to the storm-water network
- Assessment of and potential improvement to road pavement
The $7 million project is funded in partnership by Singleton Council and the RestartNSW Resources for Regions program.
The 50% concept design is scheduled to be available in September 2019. The design will be available for community comment and feedback.
Council will also work closely with property owners and businesses as the project progresses to ensure minimal impacts during construction.
For further information, contact Singleton Council on T 02 6578 7290 or E firstname.lastname@example.org with Town Centre Upgrade in the subject line.